Saturday, December 8, 2012

Five-Four-Six

I just realized that I have never posted a picture of the house. I was told it was built in the mid to late 1930's and it looks smaller from the outside than it actually is. It has a nice porch (that I cannot wait to get furniture for) and it faces the Ohio river. I don't have a great view of it, but there IS a tiny little section where I can see boats floating and water flowing. :) It is across from two of my favorite homes in Vanceburg. Both homes are old and have so much character, I will enjoy having them across the street (plus some pretty good neighbors too). Speaking of that, my friend Matt is a neighbor close by and my friend Chelcee is moving into her new place this week which is 3 doors down from mine! I'm looking forward to their company! The name of my blog..."in between the river and tracks" is literally where I live. I'd say my kitchen and dining area is about 20-25 feet away from the train tracks. I thought this was really going to bother me but it doesn't at all. Of course, I haven't actually stayed there yet (I'm hoping to get all clothes and personal items moved in this weekend) but I don't think the trains come through often enough to bother me. We'll see how the cats do. I already can't wait for next spring to plant flowers, and work on the outside landscaping. That's the only kind of getting my hands dirty that I like. I'm hoping to buy some shutters and do some painting as well!

I bought a new storm door for the house. I wanted something that was going to help with keeping the heat in because my front door is old and wooden and let's a lot of cold air inside, but it's one of the most charming things about the house. It's beautiful! So of course I wanted something that was head to toe glass to still be able to see the door! I bought a white door with brushed nickel fixtures on it, or so I thought. I was very specific when I was choosing the door. I did not want ANY sort of fake bright brass. So I bought the door, and had an extremely hard time fitting it in my car...then  Luke put the door up one day while I was at work. I pulled in and I immediately noticed that it was in fact the fake bright brass. Ugh. Nothing is simple. SO, Luke took the fixtures off, I returned to Lowe's and they switched them out with no questions asked. I will give them a thumbs up for taking things back; they have been amazing on that! I also had Luke install a new light for outside. It has that old look that I like and is in a pewter finish.

We also added a dead bolt to the front door. The front door had a skeleton key (which is so cute by the way) but you couldn't lock the door from the outside. So in order to use the front door you had to come in the back door and unlock it from inside. I had originally bought a whole new handle and was going to install it. But after Luke got to working on the door, he realized that the new handle and lock wasn't going to be able to work. So I took THAT back, and got just a dead bolt. He drilled the hole and I now have more security, access to the front door, AND I got to keep the beautiful original door knob and KEY. :) It's the small things that make me happy!

Here are a few pictures...


My little house!




See?! Pretty cute huh!?




Fall Decor




The old light fixture. I still think it's a neat light...




New light!!!

I will post again before Christmas is here. I want to show you my Christmas decorations!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I love what you're doing with your house! Great job! We just bought our first house as well, and I'm having fun turning it into something that is "us." I can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could get my hands on that old light!

    ReplyDelete